Betterment is not a tax advisor. The information provided in our Support Center is educational and should not be considered tax advice. Please consult a tax professional.
An employee census is data that is used for creating employee accounts, as well as for year-end compliance testing, to confirm employee eligibility, track vesting, and monitor allowable contribution limits.
The accuracy of this information is critical to ensure that these tests are completed correctly. Your census may include the following information:
- Employee name
- Employee date of birth
- Employee Social Security Number
- Employee hire (and termination when applicable) dates
- Employee compensation
- Employee’s hours of service (if needed to determine eligibility)
- Employee deferrals year-to-date
- Employer match contributions year-to-date
- Employee ownership of the company
- Employee officer status